• Deliver a new Greenways network that will see Perth’s most precious natural areas protected permanently and linked together across the metropolitan area through a new network of dedicated bike paths and walkways that everyone has access to.
• Introduce an urban forest strategy that will stitch the greenways together through every suburb, doubling Perth’s existing tree canopy and increase biodiversity in your neighbourhood.
• Introduce a backyards and front verges strategy that allows your local community and household to contribute and be part of the Greenways project through actions in your own gardens, streets and verges.
• Provides immediate protection to the ten places too precious to lose in Perth under direct threat right now, places like Beeliar Wetlands and Point Peron, that we are all worried about losing forever.
• Provide a better planning system and give legal protection to existing ecological linkages in Perth.
• Provide additional funding to the Perth Biodiversity Project and a new grants scheme for communities and non-profit organisations to directly work on the Perth Greenways project.
• See every Perth resident live within a 5 minute walk of a Greenway and a 10 minute ride of a protected reserve of regional significance.
What would it cost?
$6mpa would fund the metropolitan wide walking and bicycling trails that to link the Greenways together, and build interpretive centres, signage and public facilities throughout. It would also provide a dedicated Acquisition fund, a new grants scheme for the community and local groups to access, and a new cross-portfolio unit within government to deliver the Greenways initiative.
Note: $5.375million is already allocated as funding for Greenways in the Greens 2029 Perth Bike Plan
7 THINGS THE GREENWAYS PLAN OFFERS YOU!
Authorised by Chris Dickinson & Adam Duncan, the Greens (WA), Ground Floor 445 Hay St Perth